Friday 30 April 2010


Mo Wilson died on Monday 26th of April 2010. She was the partner of Brian Morgan who, along with family and friends was with Mo when she passed away peacefully at Velindre hospital in Cardiff after a two year struggle with a brain tumour.

Mo was born in Tillicoultry, Scotland, the daughter of Patrick and Margaret Wilson. She is survived by her niece Nina, sister Maggie and brother Chris. Mo spent much of her younger years travelling the world.

Mo went on to become a professional freelance photographer. In the 1980’s she came to study documentary photography at Newport under renowned Magnum member David Hurn. As well as working for Britain’s top magazines and newspapers, Mo’s work has been exhibited widely in galleries in the UK, including Cardiff and bought by the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff, the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth and for South Glamorgan County Council art collection.

Mo created some astounding images that gave an insight into communities and characters across Britain. But as well as falling in love with a Welshman, Mo fell in love with Wales; her many photo essays of Riverside where she and Brian lived, reveal the strong connection she had with her local community.

Throughout her illness Mo continued to help a group of teenage mothers and fathers in the South Wales valleys produce an annual magazine about their lives – a project she had worked on for eight years.

Mo had a vast circle of friends and was the life and soul of the party. Her sense of style and pride in the way she dressed will be remembered by all who saw her. She loved music and music festivals, but most of all Mo loved people; when she went to WOMAD dozens of her friends went too! She lived life to the full, was so caring, a fabulous conversationalist who will be sadly missed.

Mo’s funeral is on Saturday 15th May 2010 at 11.15am, Thornhill, Cardiff with an open-invitation celebration of her life afterwards at her Riverside house. Flowers from family only please. There will be a collection for the Samantha Dickson Tumour Trust at the funeral. Cheques to be made out to the funeral director, who will forward them in Mo's name to the trust. If you aren't able to attend the funeral and still wish to donate, please send your cheque to the funeral director by post and he will forward them in Mo's name to the trust. The address for the funeral director is:
Green Willow Funeral Homes
33 St Isan Road
Heath
Cardiff
CF14 4LU
enquiries@greenwillowfunerals.com
07768748585

Mo's friends and family would like to thank the many of you who have sent cards, messages of goodwill, flowers and food.

Tributes to Mo can be left on this blog posting below by clicking on the word "comments" at the end of this text. You will then be able to read other people's tributes and add your own at the end of these.

AFTER CLICKING ON THE 'comments' LINK YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL RIGHT DOWN TO THE END OF ALL THE COMMENTS IN ORDER TO GET THE EMPTY COMMENTS BOX WHERE YOU WILL THEN BE ABLE TO WRITE YOUR COMMENTS.

16 Comments:

Blogger Brian Morgan said...

Mo fought this right to the end, her next brain scan was already booked. But the treatment itself has serious side effects which Mo just shrugged off for two years - this time, the second of two major relapses, she couldn't. It was peaceful at the end with loved and loving ones around her.

Even though we both knew in February 2008 when she was diagnosed with this most serious form of brain tumour, that her survival was unlikely, she had responded to the harsh treatment extremely well right up until the end of 2009.

She continued to live an active life, working and enjoying meeting her friends, her home, her music, her photography and the glass of wine - but most of all she loved trekking down Cowbridge Road East to the charity shops with Molly her trolley - that's what she missed the most during her final three months in bed.

We hoped and believed because of the extremely good results from early treatment that she would be one of the very rare individuals who could come through it.

She lived life absolutely to the full throughout, planning future documentary projects which I will now attempt to complete in her memory.

Her friends and relatives and I stayed strong for her to help her fight.

Now I cannot begin to describe my feelings about the loss her friends and family and myself have been dealt nor can I begin to imagine the feelings she endured so stoically - she was a Scot after all.

30 April 2010 at 05:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memorial, Brian. No-one who met Mo could ever forget her. She was one of the dazzlingly funkiest women I ever had the good fortune to meet, let alone live next door to. Rawden Place will not be the same without her.
B
xx

30 April 2010 at 05:26  
Blogger Sel said...

Mo - You were, and are, an inspiration to me.

I always looked forward to a conversation with you, and for your nuggets of wisdom delivered so forthrightly.

Our friendship grew out of a work connection, and became something I valued immensely - your stories, your humour, your verve for life, your sense of fashion and your delight in finding a bargain, your inclusion of me in to your circle of friends; and your many attempts to find me a partner!

I hope that somewhere, in another dimension, your spirit which shone so brightly in life, is glowing still.

In the words of a Scottish poem:

Be each saint in heaven
Each sainted woman in heaven
Each angel in heaven
Stretching their arms for you
Smoothing the way for you
When you go thither
Over the river so hard to see
Oh when you go thither home
over the river so hard to see.

I miss you already. Selma xxxx

30 April 2010 at 05:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is never fair, here was a lady who gave so much and was cut down in the prime of her life.

When you enter Mo and Brian's home, you can see who she was everywhere, it is a reflection of a free spirit, a reflection of a person who loved life and the people in it.

Mo Wilson lived her life to brighten up the lives of others.

She is missed and will be for a very long time.

Thank you Mo for doing all the things you have done, in particular helping those children who are so much less fortunate than others.

xxx

30 April 2010 at 08:04  
Anonymous Janet Davis said...

Sadly I did not have the privilege to meet Mo.
She sounds like a wonderful, amazing person, who inspired and helped so many people in her life. Such a special bright star will always leave a wonderful legacy in the memories of those, whose lives she touched. Bless you Mo xx

3 May 2010 at 07:00  
Anonymous Cath Janes said...

The world is a duller place without our gorgeous Mo but I have no doubt that wherever she is now she's causing a bloody riot. Go get 'em girl!

Mo, Mo, Mo, I can't tell you how much you will be missed. You were - no, are - the brightest star and it was impossible to be in your presence without smiling, laughing or shrieking. And your no messin' look at life has inspired me beyond all measure. Seriously, personally and professionally, when faced with a problem I ask myself what you would do first and then go for it. You've been a joy to me Mo, a complete and utter joy, and you'll imspire me forever.

As I told you over and again, I love ya Mo. Always will.

Cx

3 May 2010 at 13:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember so many great times spent with Mo. But perhaps the best were when she visited me and my family. She had the knack of making me see my own world in a new light, and for me to appreciate what I have with renewed insight. Everything from our beautiful house and garden, to our chickens and ducks and most of all our amazing children who Mo treated as if they wer her family, and my wonderful wife. Mo you are so missed, a wonderful pesron with so much love for others. Chris

7 May 2010 at 14:31  
Anonymous Steve Garrett said...

Mo was one of the first people I met when I came to Cardiff so many years ago. It felt like a good omen! We worked together on several projects and shared many a glass of wine, conversation and even the occassional dance together at various meetings, gatherings and parties over the years. She is so much a colourful part of the local community in my mind, it's hard to imagine Riverside without her. Here's to you, Mo - strong, creative, concerned, funny, and best of all...NEVER BORING!!!
Steve.

12 May 2010 at 08:56  
Anonymous Old Stokie said...

With deepest sympathy. A star that bright never really burns out; its light travels far beyond the lives of men.

17 May 2010 at 04:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was thinking about you today Mo, all that research and Shark Liver oil which is benefitting so many others now, thanks to you :) Just thought I would let you know x

22 April 2011 at 09:01  
Anonymous Georgina Morton said...

Brian, We wish you every success with this award. What a fanastic way to remember Mo.
Love G & B

Wherever she is I'm sure she's found somewhere warm. Mo always liked it hot....and I bet she having a foot massage!

26 April 2011 at 12:54  
Anonymous Kelly xx said...

I am devastated to find out about about Mo. I met her while working with the group of young mums on the magazine projects...I had'nt seen her for several years though, and am only just discovering what happened to her.
Mo....what an amazing lady! I quite often thought about her over the years as she made such an impact in peoples lives! Funny, kind, caring, always smiling and living life to the full! I was so lucky to have known her even if it was for a short time. xxxxx

9 December 2011 at 16:44  
Anonymous JGW said...

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. We were at college together, and my memories of Mo are of her being such a warm person, so easy to be comfortable with, always helpful, genuine and thoughtful. I remember helping Mo move house in Newport, and the lovely barbecue we had afterwards with Mo and Brian. Just ordinary things I know, but made all the more special because of Mo's presence with her personality and humour.

It was wonderful to have met you Mo. You were one of the special ones; someone who I just happen to share some time with during the course of my life, but who I'll always remember. The sort of person who just somehow shines in your memory.

xxx

6 January 2012 at 06:26  
Anonymous Paul Harris said...

It is with sadness that I have only just found out about Mo's passing and my sympathies go out to Brian and her family. I was at Newport with Mo, 87-89 and remember her very positive outlook on life, wicked sense of humour and purposeful approach to photography. I also remember joining her to an Arts Council event at a time when Peter Palumbo was in the news. She had just completed the photography for an arts publication which was being launched and at this event I met the journalist who had written the report, Phyllida Shaw. She remains a close friend. Hats off to you Mo

18 January 2012 at 11:42  
Anonymous Phyllida Shaw said...

And so Paul has just given me this sad news. Mo took as series of black & white photographs for The Public Art Report in 1989/90. We were both at the beginning of our freelance careers. I remember a woman who listened with great care and who came back with exactly what we needed. She was my first experience of collaborating with a professional photographer and I have expected nothing less the quality of her approach and of her work ever since. Phyllida Shaw

22 January 2012 at 14:10  
Anonymous Corinne said...

I was shocked and so sad to learn of Mo's passing. We were good friends in the 1970s when she lived in Muswell Hill, London and we shared so many good, fun times and got each other through a few of the bad. Time and life separated us, but I have often thought of her and was very pleased and not at all surprised to learn of her fabulous photography achievements. I am so happy that she made a wonderful life for herself in Wales and was very much loved and admired. Here's to old time, Mo - I will never forget you. Corinne

19 June 2012 at 04:20  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home